At Hotel Dieu Hospital we are dedicated to providing an excellent experience and excellent care for all patients, families and visitors.
- your appointment slip
- Health Insurance (OHIP) Card
- a complete and up-to-date list of medications provided by your pharmacist OR all medications in their original drugstore container, insulin, inhalers, prescribed creams, eye drops and non-prescription medications such as herbals and vitamins
- a family member or friend for support or personal assistance; if you wish, this person may attend your clinic visit with you
- a snack in case your clinic appointment is delayed.
Before you arrive:
- If you (or your escort) don't feel well or have recently been exposed to an infectious disease, consider re-booking your appointment OR ask for a face mask at the Information Desk.
- If you need to cancel your appointment or require further information about it please call the number on the appointment slip.
- Plan for possible delays; patients being seen ahead of you may need more time than expected with the medical team.
Hotel Dieu Hospital uses a telephone interpretation service that provides rapid access to almost 100 languages 24 hours/day, every day of the year. When you come for an appointment or if you need to speak on the phone with us, we can immediately connect with a professional translator to ensure you receive the information you need quickly and accurately. You do not need to make arrangements ahead of time. In some circumstances we can also arrange for an interpreter to be on site for face-to-face interpretation. This would occur when telephone interpretation would be difficult (for example, if the patient has hearing loss) or when the length or complexity of your hospital visit means you would be better served by a translator on site. If you need a professional interpreter on site please call the hospital main number (613-544-3310 or toll-free at 1-855-544-3400) and tell the Switchboard Operator that you need an interpreter to attend your clinic visit. Tell the Operator the location and date of your clinic (from your appointment slip). The Operator will connect you with the appropriate clinic, which will make the necessary arrangements.
- Avoid wearing scented body products or perfume on the day of your visit; Hotel Dieu Hospital is a scent-safe environment.
- Allow yourself time to park and find your clinic.
- Leave large sums of money and valuables at home.
When you arrive:
- Use the hand sanitizer available at all hospital entrances.
- Ask at the Information Desk for directions to your clinic and for other assistance.
- Look for user-friendly self-registration kiosks in clinic registration areas. Please speak to the registration clerk if you need assistance.
- Please remember that Hotel Dieu is a teaching hospital. If you have any questions about the involvement of learners in your care, please ask to speak with your attending physician or the health care professional in charge