2013 May 16: Regular screening for glaucoma is critical to diagnosing glaucoma says a Queen’s University study led by Hotel Dieu ophthalmologist Dr. Sanjay Sharma. Known as a silent thief of vision, glaucoma affects nearly 3% of the population. A new meta-analysis of literature on glaucoma conducted by the Queen’s research team was published this month in JAMA – the Journal of the American Medical Association. The study highlights the importance of regular screenings for glaucoma especially for those over the age of 40. To learn more click here
2013 May 16: Food Blitz hauls in almost 84,000 pounds of non-perishable goods overnight with more still flowing in.
May 15: A study released this week by Cancer Care Ontario has found digital computed radiography mammography, or CR mammography, to be less effective in detecting breast cancer than conventional screen film mammography and digital direct radiography mammography, or DR mammography. At Hotel Dieu Hospital, we have never used CR mammography. We have used DR mammography exclusively since 2008, and prior to that we used screen film mammography. If you have any further questions regarding the technology, please contact Cancer Care Ontario at 1-800-668-9304 or speak to your doctor.
2013 May 13: Hotel Dieu Hospital café brings home the gold
2013 May 6: Best nursing practices spotlighted
as Hotel Dieu Hospital kicks off 2013 Nursing Week
2013 April 23 issue of hdhEnews is now online:
- Nursing students eager for field placement at Hotel Dieu
- Elevator tower near completion; new construction underway
- Patient Experience Advisors: Bringing perspective to the picture
- Celebrating the helping hands, big hearts of HDH volunteers
- Our Brockview Café brings home a gold for excellence
- Parting gift honours patient’s brother, thanks clinic staff
Congratulations to Dr. Stephen Archer, one of the world’s top cardiologists and head of the department of medicine at Queen’s University, on winning the prestigious Heart of Gold award for his volunteer work for the American Heart Association. In his role as president of the Chicagoland American Heart Association Board, Dr. Archer led the creation of Mission Lifeline, part of a U.S. national strategy to ensure patients receive timely care after a severe heart attack prior to arriving at the hospital.
BOGO ACCESSORY SALE at the Brock Boutique
On Thursday, April 18 & Friday, April 19 buy 1 accessory and get the second accessory of equal or lesser value for ½ price. Accessories include: Jewelry, Purses, Clothing, Shoes, Wallets, Watches, Sunglasses & Readers. Great springtime shopping! Great Mother’s Day shopping!
March 19: Today we celebrate the Feast of Saint Joseph, the namesake of our Sisters, with our annual St. Joseph’s Bread Table, when all staff, physicians, learners and volunteers come together to share a selection of warm breads, jams, jellies and coffee, and to spend a few moments with one another. The occasion honours St. Joseph, a mainstay of the spirituality of the Religious Hospitallers of St. Joseph
Interested in becoming an ophthalmic technician or an ophthalmic medical technologist? Hotel Dieu offers a unique training program, that might be just for you. Applications will be accepted starting in March 19. Check out Kingston Ophthalmic Training Centre http://www.hoteldieu.com/ophthalmic/KOTC.html
March 12:Inside this issue of hdhEnews
Feb 19: Transfer of clinics from Kingston General Hospital
to Hotel Dieu Hospital starts Feb. 19
- Dozens of specialized clinics complete transfer to Hotel Dieu
- Hip/knee patients benefit from streamlined referral process
- New technology improving safety at HDH
- Smile. You’re on colon camera!
- Practical advice on navigating the grocery aisle
- Will doing the foxtrot keep me sharp?
- Exciting new staff lottery will raise funds for patient care
- Have you registered yet?
Feb 14: Inside this issue of hdhEnews
Outpatient clinics: CLOSED
Pediatric Urgent Care Clinic: CLOSED.
Public Service Announcement
- Hotel Dieu Hospital opens $20 million redevelopment project
- 50,000 patient visits set to transfer starting Feb. 19
- Social media campaign supports eating disorders clinic at Hotel Dieu
- Patients applaud expanding services at Hotel Dieu
- Kudos for diabetes program at Hotel Dieu
- Donors champion eye care at Hotel Dieu
- Know a good candidate for Patient Experience Advisor?
- Commemorate, celebrate, thank, reach into the future
- Have you registered yet?...
Family Day, Monday Feb. 18
For minor illness/injury that cannot wait for a family doctor: Visit our Urgent Care Centre,
8 am – 10 pm, 365 days/year.
Hotel Dieu Hospital opens the door on $20 million redevelopment project
Feb 2013: It is time to register for the CDC Run
There are four components to the event: a 1km kids race at 9:30, and then at 10 am there's a 5 km walk, 5km and 10 km races. Get your registration and pledge forms at the Running Room
Welcome back Dr. Franklin-Otolaryngologist specializing in head, neck, mouth and throat cancers
Source: The Kingston Whig Standard
The Hotel Dieu Hospital Coat Room closes for the season on Thursday, Jan. 31. We thank you for your generous donations of warm clothing this year. If you require winter clothing for someone in need please contact Pastoral Care at 613-544-3400, ext. 2231.